The UK Monitoring, Reporting & Verification (UK MRV)
Due to BREXIT, U.K. is no longer a part of European Union since 31st January 2020 00:00 CET.
Since the Regulation EU 2015/757 ('EU MRV') applies only to the ships visiting ports under the jurisdiction of an EU member state, it ceased to have effect for ships visiting ports in the United Kingdom since 1st January 2021.
The UK secretary of state, in exercise of the powers conferred by section 8 of the European Union (Withdrawal) Act 2018(a), came up with its own MRV system which amends the legislation relating to monitoring and reporting of carbon dioxide emissions from maritime transport, with the first monitoring period starting on 1st January 2021.
AIM: Ambitious vision for the future of zero emissions shipping in the United Kingdom by 2050.
For more information, refer to the Clean Maritime Plan.
Scope of UK MRV – This Regulation applies to ships above 5,000 gross tonnage in respect of CO2 emissions released during their voyages from their last port of call to a port of call in the United Kingdom and from a port of call in the United Kingdom to their next port of call, as well as within ports of call in the United Kingdom.
The content of the Monitoring Plan, the Emission Report and the Document of Compliance remains the same as in the EU MRV except for the following changes:
- “EU MRV Procedures” to be substituted by “MRV Procedures” and “EU MRV Regulation” by “MRV Regulation” in the Monitoring Plan template.
- Electronic template of Emission Report and Document of Compliance to be published soon by the Secretary of State and available on the gov.uk website.
- The Emission Report will be submitted to the Secretary of State.
For more information, visit The Merchant Shipping (Monitoring, Reporting and Verification of Carbon Dioxide Emissions) (Amendment) (EU Exit) Regulations 2018.
Consequences on EU MRV Emission Reports
Since the United Kindgom is not a member of the European Union anymore, the following changes are expected for the 2021 MRV Emission Report and list of EU MRV voyages:
- Voyages from UK to EU ports should now be reported in category “from non-EU to EU” (e.g. a voyage from Felixstowe | UK to Valencia| Spain).
- Voyages from EU to UK ports should now be reported in category “from EU to non- EU” (e.g. a voyage from Le Havre | France to Dover | UK).
Role of Verifavia Shipping
Verifavia Shipping, as the world's leading independent carbon emissions verification body for shipping under the EU MRV and the IMO DCS, and as a UKAS-accredited verifier, is the best placed to provide UK MRV verification to ships visiting UK ports.
With abundant experience and expertise, Verifavia (UK) Ltd and its marine auditors are geared up to perform UK MRV verification, under our UKAS accreditation number 4599.
Ship operators are expected to start gathering and reporting the MRV data in a similar fashion as done for EU MRV reporting by early 2022, the only differences being the scope of voyages to be reported, and the reporting method.