EU MRV Emissions Report Verification
Independent carbon emissions verification is a legal environmental audit that all ship operators operating ships exceeding 5,000 GT calling at EU ports from 2018 will be required to conduct.
The first task of the verifier is to assess the conformity of the Monitoring Plan prepared by the ship operator against the requirements of the EU MRV Regulation.
The second task of the verifier is to independently verify the emissions report prepared by the ship operator in order to reach an opinion with reasonable assurance that:
- The procedures conform with the approved monitoring plan and with the requirements of the EU MRV Regulation and the Delegated & Implementing Acts
- The data submitted in the emissions report is fairly stated, i.e. free from material misstatements
The verification process
Verification is an interactive process aiming to continuously improve the ship operator's MRV management and control systems. The process follows a two-stage approach:
- Analysis of the design and implementation of the ship operator's MRV management system (organisation, procedures, IT) and control system, identification of risk areas, and assessment of whether the procedures conform with the Monitoring Plan and the EU MRV Regulation.
- Detailed testing and analysis of fuel data and other relevant information, including the comparison of voyages with ship-tracking satellite (AIS) data provided by supplier CLS.
- Independent technical review, materiality analysis, verification opinion and document of compliance.
More information on the role of verification
> More information on the steps of verification
> More information on the accreditation of verifiers
Regulations & Criteria
Verifavia conducts the verification audits according to the following regulations and criteria:
- Regulation 2015/757 on the monitoring, reporting and verification of carbon dioxide emissions from maritime transport ('EU MRV Regulation') amended by the Delegated Regulation (EU) 2016/2071 as regards the methods for monitoring carbon dioxide emissions and the rules for monitoring other relevant information
- ISO 14065:2013 on the Requirements for greenhouse gas validation and verification bodies for use in accreditation
- Commission Implementing Regulation (EU) 2016/1928 on determination of cargo carried for categories of ships other than passenger, ro-ro and container ships pursuant to EU MRV Regulation
- Commission Implementing Regulation (EU) 2016/1927 on templates for monitoring plans, emissions reports and documents of compliance pursuant to the EU MRV Regulation
- Commission Delegated Regulation (EU) 2016/2072 on the verification activities and accreditation of verifiers pursuant to the EU MRV Regulation
- Relevant Guidelines
> More information on the required content of the monitoring plan