Latest Updates of EU MRV Reporting with the adoption of EU ETS
With the adoption of the EU –ETS (European Emission Trading System) directive for the shipping sector, certain amendments are made to the EU-MRV Regulation. This directive requires shipping companies to monitor and report their aggregated emissions data at the company level.
Important deadlines to remember:
- 01 January 2024 – Include Emissions to monitor, verify and report new Greenhouse Gases N2O (Nitrous Oxide), CH4 (Methane).
- 01 April 2024 – Companies should submit MPs (Monitoring Plan) assessed by the Verifier to the Administering authority.
- 01 January 2025 – Regulation extended to General Cargo Ships and offshore ships of 400 Gross Tonnage and above.
- 31 March 2025 – Companies to submit EU MRV Emission Report to Administering authority.
- 30 September 2025 – For surrendering allowances to the Administering authority by Ship Owners/Managers.
- Failure of Emission Report submission, verification and surrendering of allowances may result in a penalty of 100 Euros per ton of CO2.
- Denial entry to the EU for the ship if it is non-compliant for two or more consecutive periods.