The SOLAS Regulations require an up-to-date Asbestos Management Plan for a workplace where asbestos or asbestos-containing material (ACM) is identified.
The principal objective of the Asbestos Management Plan is to minimize exposure of asbestos fibers for passengers, crew, personnel in port, etc. by effective management of asbestos containing material from the time it was identified until it is removed.
The Asbestos Management Plan focuses on requirements to avoid ACM fibers release that may impose risk to crew members or passengers and includes ACMs Register, ACMs Risk Assessment and ACMs Management Measures.
Asbestos Management Plan
Asbestos Maintenance and Monitoring Plan should include following information:
- A programme to inform the location of ACMs
- Provision to assess and document any changes in condition of ACMs
- Specified procedures for work that might disturb/change condition of ACMs
- Work practices
- Record of all asbestos management documents
- Training provisions for crew, passengers, etc.
What Verifavia Shipping can do for you
Our team of Hazmat experts can assist in reviewing Asbestos Containing Materials (ACMs) present onboard and develop a customized Asbestos Management Plan (AMP) as per regulatory and specific Flag requirements. Our team shall also aid in providing ‘Emergency procedures’ to tackle ACMs onboard.
Moreover, we furnish support services for carrying out ‘Plan Reviews’ based on pertaining risk levels and subsequently Asbestos Removal/Disposal services (by a certified asbestos handler and disposal facility) ensuring end to end regulatory compliance at all levels.
Currently, we stand at 100% dispensation grant record for more than 100 AMPs developed so far for various Flag States (including DMA).
Regulation & Criteria
- SOLAS Regulation II-1/3-5
- MSC Circ. 1045 - Guidelines for maintenance and monitoring of on-board materials containing asbestos
- IMO MSC.1/Circ.1379 - Unified Interpretation of SOLAS Regulation II-1/3-5 (concerning asbestos in stores)
- IMO MSC.1/Circ.1426 Unified Interpretation of SOLAS Regulation II-1/3-5 (concerning likely components, evidence and documentation)
- IMO MSC.1/Circ.1374 Information on Prohibiting the Use of Asbestos on board ships (includes how to manage asbestos found on ships not in compliance with SOLAS)